Friday, October 26, 2007

See Paul Work!

First of all, I need to get this out in the open: this blog isn't as fun as my wifey's blog! She has great anecdotal stories of her daily adventures and she presents them with a wit that is all her own. I can't compete with that! My daily adventure is WORK, and the stories I do have are usually presented with way too much background information and all the candor of an IRS audit. I know that you are all looking for a flavor of what life is REALLY like for us, so here it is...me at WORK.

I had already gotten the job when I sent this image to José María. He asked me to participate (from Arizona) in their work for a competition for this enormous University housing project in Zaragoza after my email comments to him made me FAMOUS in the office. (No really...I am immortalized on this site for said comments...look for the "Paul S." and translate/read at your own risk!) He asked me to answer for him the very question that I asked him about his own project, which was "So how does one really move through that building?" I answered him with this diagram which shows circulation in red and social gathering space in orange shining through the translucent white cubes which are the actual dorms. (Since you were all wondering what the HECK this drawing was!...yeah...I know...you're probably still wondering...I tried.) They didn't use this image for the final presentation boards, but it secured me a place in the boss's heart. For this, I was invited EARLY to Alicante.

Actually the above image is the real reason I came to Alicante early. The studio was invited to compete in an exclusive competition for the first of many buildings for a University extension campus here in Alicante. Above is a photo I took of the final "physical model" (as in, not a computer model) which I did not even make a piece of. So this is the answer to your collective question "What do you do all day Paul?" Until this Monday morning I was designing (the initial concept was done before my arrival, but I am given responsibility/freedom to make any developmental design decisions) and drawing floor plans, sections and elevations of this project with two other chicos. I mapped schematic diagrams of mechanical systems, made a gajillion digital models and struggled to understand and communicate these things in my broken spanish. Now isn't that more exciting than surviving an attempted purse-snatching at Pans & Company?!?!? (Actually I WAS there for that!)

These days I'm working on this project. A(nother) competition for subsidized housing projects here in Alicante. We're still working at a conceptual level, but it is SUPER fun! (for someone like me, that is) The orientation and up-down movement of the volumes respond to solar orientation and beachy views, while everything else is to grab as much developable space as zoning will permit. I would totally live in them, except the neighborhood is less dense (aren't I the urbanism junkie?) and a bit far from the city center. My boss is in Boston watching the World Series right now, so things are a bit relaxed around the studio. He will be in Boston until mid-November as he tries to arrange a year long sabbatical for 2008-2009. WooHoo! Party at work! (Actually he is not such a bad guy to have around.)

Still to come....me hanging out with FAMOUS (to me) architects and ceaseless stories of language blunders!

8 comments:

steph said...

i have no idea what you do at work. could you explain again?! haha. i'm so funny!

P Daddy said...

To the extent of my very limited understanding of architecture...very cool. Could only pick out words of the webpage discussion and the free online translator made hash of most of it, but it does appear you are famous and responsible for making the drawings more accurately and brillantly reflect the human activity patterns. Looks like a fun but stressful learning experience, seriously complicated by the language issues. You are right, you can't compete (just as I cannot compete with your mother or sisters) with Steph for witty, anecdotal writing (or brevity). But your work is very impressive and your writing is very good. Somewhere a particularly tough former high school English teacher is quietly smiling--your determination to please her was a precursor, I think, to your ability to tough up to and endure the challenges and pressure of architecture school and practice, and now your writing is one of your many polished talents (even if more informational in tone and slightly less amusing than your wife's). Thanks for the posts, keep them coming. Is land line phone service or in-home Internet access anywhere on the horizon, or is that visa-dependent, too?

steph said...

yay for mrs. reed! that's right, pdaddy -- give credit where credit's due! and yes, unfortunately, internet/phone at home access is visa dependent... blech.

Michael said...

ahhh...mrs. reed! definitely one of the best teachers I've had. At first I thought you were talking about mrs. royce! Ha! She was horrid!

Angy said...

wowZa! there's my lesson on architecture! lol. and yay for you being famous! estoy muy orgulloso! by the looks of it, you seem to be keeping pretty dang busy at work! that's awesome! it should at least keep the day moving by fast! especially since you get a break everyday and get to hang out with the coolest girl ever, every day! :) and while i may not completely understand everything you do on a daily basis... it's cool to hear what you've been up to! :)

mommie said...

My son is fluid ... and famous ... in multiple languages.


English.
Spanish.

and... er ... the silent language of "pillows".

Mom said...

Whoa! That's architecture? Who knew? I love your work stuff. Congratulations and I hope your firm gets the bid! I am glad you and Steph are getting out and having fun, I was beginning to wonder if cooking and cleaning was Steph's new life, but that lasted a week LOL! I <3 you!

Unknown said...

Paul, its Glenn. Looks like your are having a lot more fun working there than back at our office. Sounds like you are having a blast though. Give me some kind of email and I will keep you posted on all the project you helped with us.